We tend to get confused when given multiple choices. It is human nature. But if are clear with what we need or desire, choosing a product or a service out of the vast range of offered services becomes much easier. A similar rule applies to the market of web hosting services. Although various companies offer different types of hosting option, with time they develop expertise in certain specific domains at par to their competitors. By identifying your requirement and accordingly hiring the hosting service who expertise in your desired domain is always the best choice you can make. An example to this, Surpass hosting reviews show that they have captured a significant market in the shared hosting domain as per www.cnet.com.
Certain questions which we need to answer to define the requirement are:
• What is the budget on a monthly basis? Since hiring a hosting service calls for investment, considering our current paying capabilities should choose from free hosting, shared hosting, VPS hosting, dedicated hosting, etc.
• What is the traffic expected on the website? Since options like free and shared hosting services have an insufficient scope for handling traffic, by forecasting a rough estimation of traffic load on the server can help you shortlisting the hosting platform. A more theoretical approach to calculate the monthly traffic is through formula-
The average size of per page in KB X 1000
No. of pages requested per month
• What are technical compatibility and requirements? Which language to be used among PHP, .NET, JAVA base, Perl, and which version are some of the very important questions to be answered. The database used to enhance the functionality of the website is also a vital aspect. Options for the database to choose from are MySQL, Access which run on windows vary in speed and are suitable for small and medium-sized websites. MySQL which a product of Microsoft used for big sites.
• Speed and reliability – The uptime of loading a page is a deciding force to measure the speed offered. Usually dedicated hosting service has highest uninterrupted speed, whereas shared service is comparatively slower. In today’s world of increasing cyber crime, the security of website against any virus or a hacking trial should be analyzed.
Once you get a clear picture of the requirements, after analyzing pros and cons of different type of hosting platform, the user can make the best choice. Apart from analyzing the standard features, few tips to make the process of finalizing the hosting service provider a bit easier are:
1. Since every hosting options have technical specifications in measurable terms, the one which closely matches to your requirement should be hired.
2. Should extensively go through various reviews by experts and testimonies by existing or past users on third party reviewing websites
3. Should inquire about the backup plan of the hosting company for situations where due to a major breakdown, all the data and other details related to your website are lost.
4. Enquire about the location of their server. This is important because there can be some legal bindings over exchange of sensitive information between certain geographically separated locations.
The relationship between you and your hosting company is long-term. Therefore, there should be complete transparency and compatibility between the two, to make your website successful in the web space.